12.04.2007

Day Four – I Feel Wicked

This morning we went to the Guggenheim museum. I discovered that I am not much of an art connoisseur because I just didn’t “get it.” The majority of the art was by Richard Prince and in my (well, really all of our) opinion, it just plain stunk. He painted jokes over other stuff (I did however find one thing interesting – he painted over a background of Sponge Bob checks. One of the guys that worked in the museum asked us how it made us feel seeing that he had painted on the checks – my initial thought was that it was a waste of perfectly good Sponge Bob checks), grouped random pictures of similar objects (mind you, he himself didn’t actually TAKE the pictures), painted replacement car parts (i.e. hoods) solid colors, adapted book cover art from nurse novels from the fifties and forged signatures of famous people to create a false sense of intimacy. Some (most) of it I found hard actually calling art and on some of the stuff, I am just plain convinced that Dillon could have done a better job. I did really enjoy the more “normal” art that wasn’t by the lame guy – like the stuff by Picasso and some of the other painters who elude my memory.

After the museum we went to a place called Alice’s Tea Cup for lunch. It was fabulous! I had an orange spice tea that was the best I think I have ever had. The place was so cute and whimsical… There were words from Alice in Wonderland painted on the wall and stuff with butterflies all over. Even the bathroom was theme fitting. They had painted on the bathroom wall: Employees must wash their hands before returning to work or off with their heads. Too cute!

Tonight we saw Wicked. I have wanted to see it for so long, but I decided to wait to see it on Broadway. It was so good – I can’t wait to see it again. Everyone that I have talked to before said that the Los Angeles one is way better than the Broadway production, but I don’t see how that could possibly be – the actors were great and their voices were phenomenal.

It was so cold today I could hardly stand it. The wind felt like knifes going through your body. After Wicked when we were deciding where to go for dinner, I suggested Applebee’s – not because I necessarily like the place, but simply for the fact that it was across the street from the Gershwin Theater and I was cold. We were all happy with the choice because our server was so nice and he had a cool British accent. I love accents!

The best part of the Guggenheim: The ceiling...

Art?:


2 comments:

Jeannett said...

Oh my goodness! So fun!

Marcia Fiedorowicz said...

You lucky lucky lucky duck! I missed Wicked in Dallas due to the stinkin' knee... The next closest show is in Kansas City this summer... yeah, I'm planning a nice drive to see it!

I think I'll need a book to movie comparison!!!